Spring (borderline Summer) is in full force here in Whatcom County. I love the smells of fresh cut hay and the sunshine. The frogs are still making noise and to top it all off we have a new addition to the list of fauna on our property.
How many of you know what the Washington State Bird is? For those of you who are clueless, it is the goldfinch. When I was younger it was a rare occasion that this little yellow and black bird would grace me with its presence. For the longest time I wondered why such an illusive (maybe borderline endangered?) creature would be Washington's Bird? Well, apparently you just have to know where to find them. The country.
I have been told by a friend they frequent Gray's Harbor County in the spring, and I now know that they also reside quite prolifically in Whatcom County as well. Particularly in my yard. I will say one thing for the weed of a butterfly bush in my yard - it has certainly has been quite the Goldfinch attraction. I have many goldfinch that sit in my butterfly bush just outside my kitchen window. They also love the grass, and as soon as something startles them, they come out of the green and fly all over the yard. They really are beautiful!
No comments:
Post a Comment